Tuesday, June 9, 2009


Framework: 

Since I was a kid, I have always been interested in education. My parents frequently reminded me that it is not important to be rich or poor, to be white or black, to be Asian or Hispanic, for we cannot control these factors. However, he believed that education is what matters. He used to say, “Alejandro, even if you do not go to the best universities in the world, you still can learn from where you are and with whom you chose to be friends.” In other words, education is not only reading books and passing tests. It is more than that. It involves the whole self, your work,  and your family. In fact, education is the reflective process of the living experiences in life.

 

Introduction

I am the youngest of tree children. I was born in the state of Jalisco, Mexico. As I child traveled constantly with my parents and I grew accustomed to meet new people and new places.  My parents separated and I spent many years in the States and in Mexico. I finished my 8th  grade in Los Angeles, CA., but I returned back to Mexico and finished high school. Once an adult, I decided to do my undergraduate studies in California. 

 

In 1999, I studied in a local community college, which had tremendous prestige in Los Angeles area. In 2000,  I transferred to a private Catholic college in Camarillo, California where I finished my B.A in Philosophy and minor in Theology and Psychology.  During all this time, I taught Spanish, social justice, E.S.L., and religion in local parochial schools.

 

In 2006, I moved to NYC where I completed another year of Theology studies as preparation for future master degree in Scripture and religious studies. Throughout these years of study, I took private music lessons. However, it was until 2007 where I decided to pursue some formal training in music. Then, I joined NYU-Steinhardt. 

 

I feel that I am not interested in money or fame; I feel that I have chosen careers that focus more in service and helping others who are in need. I have been very blessed that great benefactor has paid my education and I do not have any loans. Thus, I feel compelled to “payback” some of that generosity to the community. Thus, teaching is one of many ways in which I feel can do that. I love working with young children and high school students.

I am interested and I hope to 1) become confident in my teaching strategies; 2) learn from good teachers and mentors; 3) create ways to develop better organizational skills; 4) develop my own philosophy of teaching; 4) obtain knowledge of do’s and don’ts in teaching; 5) read encouraging and supportive material in the field; 5) challenge my own fixed preconceptions, labels and prejudices of teaching and learning; 6) have good observations experiences in local public schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment